Skip to main content

I Went Back to Meat. And This Happened

After Being Vegan for 3 Years, I Went Back to Meat. And This Happened…

The first time I ate eggs, it literally felt like I finished having Thanksgiving dinner.
eating meat

Health and wellness touch each of us differently. This is one person’s story.
I was on a 100 percent plant-based diet for nearly three years. Yes, that meant my plate was only whole fruits and vegetables, grains, and legumes. I excluded all animal products, including dairy, meat, and seafood. And initially, I felt amazing.
My digestion was great, and I was super energized. It also felt great to no longer be contributing to the cruelty of modern animal agriculture and the negative effects livestock production has on the planet.
But… earlier this year, things started to change.
I started to have way less energy. Completing even the smallest of tasks had become a struggle. I also noticed that I was having horrible migraines before and during my menstrual cycle. At one point during my periods, I could barely get out of bed.
I knew something was wrong, and tried to adjust my diet in every way possible. I started eating healthier fats and iron-rich plant foods, but my symptoms didn’t change. During this time, I also had an odd, intense craving for seafood, but I wanted to continue making veganism work for my body.
It wasn’t until I started to have trouble digesting foods that normally went down without an issue that I decided to visit my holistic doctor.
I thought that maybe I developed an allergy to nuts or gluten, but my lab results revealed something even more shocking: I was critically low in iron — and my iron stores were even lower! Not only that, I was also very low in nutrients, including vitamins B-12, A, D, and zinc. I had been eating a wide variety of the healthiest foods on the planet, but my body was clearly sending a signal that it wasn’t enough.
My doctor was very concerned, but remained respectful of my vegan diet. She suggested a long list of different supplements to try to raise my levels, but I knew supplements weren’t the answer.
I had been ignoring the signals my body was sending me for a long time already. Instead of forcing my body to adapt to veganism again, it was time to start incorporating fish and other animal products into my diet.

The newfound changes have been incredible

challenges to eating meat again
It’s been about three months since I started eating animal protein again. I slowly transitioned at first by only eating fish and eggs.
It’s very important to me to ethically source my animal protein from the cleanest and most sustainable sources possible. I only purchase wild-caught salmon and eggs from pasture-raised, hormone- and antibiotic-free chickens. When I crave beef, I purchase grass-fed meat.
Here’s what I’ve noticed in my body since making the transition away from veganism:

I stopped waking up throughout the night

I didn’t realize I had been struggling with sleep until my diet changed. I noticed major changes: I wake up fewer times throughout the night and my sleep is much deeper. Before, I often woke up during the night. Now, I sleep through and wake up feeling very rested.

I have more energy in the morning

Toward the end of my time as a vegan, I struggled to wake up in the morning, let alone exercise! Since I started eating animal protein again, I have so much more energy to do everyday things. I even have enough for yoga classes and runs outside.

I feel more satisfied after meals

I used to get hungry every couple of hours. My portions were huge with all the vegetables imaginable just so I’d feel full. These portion sizes usually left me bloated and uncomfortable — not to mention frustrated when I was hungry again shortly after.
Since reintroducing animal protein into my diet, I transitioned to eating much smaller portions. It was a huge change for me: The first time I ate eggs, I literally felt like I had just finished Thanksgiving dinner! Now I’m able to feel satisfied after meals without overdoing it.

My skin cleared up

I’ve struggled with acne for a long time. After removing dairy from my diet, my skin cleared up a lot, but I’d still experience frequent breakouts. After I began incorporating animal protein into my diet, I noticed less inflammation and fewer breakouts. Friends and family told me my skin looked much healthier and more alive.

I have fewer headaches (and less menstrual symptoms)

Migraines are the worst. Usually they’d ramp up really badly the week before my period. The other day, I felt a migraine coming on and decided to eat some beef in an effort to boost my iron. Within a half hour, all of my headache symptoms went away. Now I make sure to eat a serving or two of meat the week prior to and during my period. It’s incredible that I haven’t had a headache since.

Listen to your body’s needs

Health has always been my number one priority. As much as I wanted to remain 100 percent plant-based, it simply just wasn’t working for me.
Instead of judging myself by what I should or shouldn’t be eating, I started to truly listen to my body and what it needed. It’s essential to listen to our bodies and do what’s good for them, rather than what’s been good for someone else. Everyone is so unique and has individual needs that not one diet or lifestyle can fulfill.
Right now, I’m eating a largely plant-based diet while incorporating some fish, eggs, and meat. This is what’s making me feel my best, and I plan to continue to eat this way to honor my body. Remember, when it comes to health, listen to your body first before the opinions of others (of course, unless it’s your doctor). Do what feels best for your body!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Cricket Flour Is the Food of the Future

Why Cricket Flour Is the Food of the Future Cricket flour nutrients  Cricket flour taste Environmental benefits  Recipes Cost  Takeaway Hear us out, cricket flour isn’t as gross as you think Entomophagy, or the eating of insects, has a bad reputation. We get it — even survey results of over 400 people found that the biggest concern of eating insects was simply, “It just grosses me out.” But what if embracing insects as food is a step toward making the world a better place? Is the power of knowledge — knowing that this product could change your diet  and  positively impact Mother Nature — enough to change your mind? The same survey says yes. They found that after participants learned more about entomophagy, most were open to eating crickets, more so when it’s presented as “flour.” I tried eating a cricket flour-based pasta dish once, and it didn’t taste noticeably different than regular pasta. There was a slightly grittier texture, but...

All About Raw Honey: How Is It Different Than Regular Honey

All About Raw Honey: How Is It Different Than Regular Honey Honey is a thick, sweet syrup made by honey bees. It’s loaded with healthy plant compounds and has been linked to several health benefits. However, there's controversy surrounding which type of honey — raw or regular — is healthiest. Some people believe that the raw variety of honey is better for optimal health, while others claim there is no difference between the two. What Is Raw Honey? Raw honey is best described as honey “as it exists in the beehive” ( 1 ). It is made by extracting honey from the honeycombs of the hive and pouring it over a mesh or nylon cloth to separate the honey from impurities like beeswax and dead bees . Once strained, raw honey is bottled and ready to be enjoyed. On the other hand, the production of regular honey involves several more steps before it is bottled — such as pasteurization and filtration . Pasteurization is a process that destroys the yeast found in h...